Ben E. Bailey
Ben E. Bailey was born in Durant,
Mississippi, on November 19, 1932. He took the B.S. in music education
(piano) from Jackson College (now Jackson
State University) and the M.M. and Ph.D. in music from Northwestern
University in Illinois. His professional career includes teaching
music in Holmes County Training School in Durant; Mississippi Industrial
College; and Tougaloo College,
where he is now Professor of Music and Chairman of the Music Department.
- Constructing Classroom Tests in Music. Northbrook,
Illinois: Whitehall Publishers, 1971.
- Music in the History of Tougaloo College. Tougaloo,
Mississippi: Tougaloo College, 1986.
- Kermit W. Holly, Sr.: The Unsung Hero. Jackson,
Mississippi: Privately published, 1996.
- “Lined Hymns in Mississippis Black Churches.” The
Organist (June 1979).
- “The Lined-Hymn Tradition in Black Mississippi Churches.”
Black Perspective in Music (Spring 1978).
- “Music in the Life of a Free Black Man of Natchez.”Black
Perspective in Music (Spring 1985).
- “Opera/South: A Brief History.”Black Perspective in
Music (Spring 1985).
- “The Cotton Blossom singers: Mississippis Black Troubadours.”
Black Perspective in Music (Fall 1987).
- “The Red Tops: The Orchestra that Covered the Delta.”Black
Perspective in Music (Fall 1988).
- “Music in Slave Era Mississippi.”The Journal of Mississippi
History 54 (February 1992).
- “The Minstrel Show in Mississippi.” The Journal of
Mississippi History (1995).
Information to this page
About This Site | New Book Info |
News & Events |
Literary Landmarks |
Mississippi Literary History |
Mississippi Publishing |
Other Features |
Other Web Resources
by author |
by title |
by place |
by year |
SEARCH THE MISSISSIPPI WRITERS PAGE
This page has been accessed
904 times. About
this page counter.
UM Home Page |
English Department |
Center for the Study of Southern Culture |
The University of Mississippi Foundation
Last Revised on
Monday, November 9, 2015, at 04:34:58 PM CST
Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Design by John B. Padgett.
The University of Mississippi English Department.